Even though it may be
difficult to draw illustrations that would interpret events from a story such
as The Gift of the Magi, it is possible to provide short written descriptions
of each scene as it is intended to be portrayed. This is a common technique
in script writing.
1. Plot a new ending for the story.
2. Imagine that Della tries to buy back Jim's watch.
3. How will she raise the money?
4. What will Jim's reaction be?
5. Draw a few sketches that illustrate the scenes from the story or write descriptions of the scenes as you would like them to be portrayed.
6. In groups of three, plan and perform a short skit using the dialog you have created and the scenes you have visualized.
Think carefully of all the elements you have worked with in the five short stories: character, setting, plot, conflict and theme. How does your new ending relate to each of these elements?